Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tonopah, NV

On Monday, Vance convinced me to take a last minute trip to Tonopah, NV. He randomly decided he wanted to explore the area, and take a tour of the old mines. With Vance, there's always an adventure to be had!

Anyway, it sounded fun so I packed up as fast as possible so we could head out. Vance hates waiting... which always make me laugh. But this time I think I made a new record! From the time Vance mentioned the trip to the time we hit the road was probably about 15 minutes total, lol. He has trained me well!

Tonopah was a really interesting town, full of some amazing history. It started out as an indian campground until Jim Butler discovered the place was filled with silver. Butler's discovery made Tonopah one of one of the richest booms in the West. If you'd like to know more about the history go check out their website, Town of Tonopah.

Here's Whitney having fun with her daddy at Mimi's Cafe. Since I hadn't made dinner yet, we stopped there on our way out :) Awesome food!

I had so much fun taking pictures of all the old equipment :)

Kelsey posing at the entrance to the mine, yikes!!

Here's Kelsey standing on top of one of the many never ending mine shafts. Apparently there are over 500 miles of mines under this town! Pretty crazy :)

Vance and Kelsey dropping rocks into the mine... and VERY patiently waiting to hear them hit bottom :)

This was an awesome historical firestation in Goldfield, NV. We saw it as we were driving home, and I had to snap a few pics!

Me... bored in the car!

3 comments:

Marleen said...

That's great that you guys can be so spontaneous like that. I've been through Tonopah so many times and have stopped there many of times but never have I explored it. You have made a place that I thought was just a stop on the way seem so cool. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You guys always have great adventures. I am jealous...no really I am...:)

Rob and Mercedi said...

Tonopah, what an adventure! We stayed there once on our way to lake tahoe. It's funny town. A lot of old stuff to shoot. Looks like you had fun! Great photos!