Friday, May 16, 2008

Our Trip to Paradise

I can't believe it's already over... I felt like I was living in a fairytale for the few short days we spent in Havasupai. I'm totally ready to go back... I've never been anywhere more awe-inspiring. I guess that's what happens when you combine striking red rocks, turquoise water, lush green foilage and white waterfalls :) What an amazing place!

Oh, before I forget... if you want to see some of the pics I took of just the waterfalls, check out my other blog too, Red Rock Studios :)

Anyway, wow! This was totally an epic trip for both of us. Everything about Havasupai is so beyond beautiful, it's surreal. We will definitely be returning regularly!

So here's all our gear laid out across our hotel bed the night before. It's crazy trying to fit everything you'll need for three days into your backpack, lol! By the way, if you're interested in going to Havasupai you should really plan to be there for atleast four days. We really wished we had the extra day...

Vance at the trailhead :) Oh, and they really do deliver their mail by horse to this spot everyday.

Here's Vance hiking down into the canyon. The hike in is super steep, and it pretty much killed my bad knee... but still totally worth it :)

Me at the bottom of the switchbacks. I was so glad that was over with! Downhill is killer on my knees :)

Vance being goofy... but apparently he's not the only one who gets kicks by putting little rocks in the holes :)

This is the first waterfall we saw, Havasu Falls. It was absolutely fantastic! We were so excited, and Vance especially couldn't believe how enormous they were. This one in particular is over 100 feet high. Pretty spectacular stuff :)

Yes, I had to get my picture too!

Here we are messing around with my camera, tripod and remote control. I had way too much fun with all my toys :)

This is the beginning of the insane trail to Mooney Falls. They're not kidding when they say "Descend at own risk." First you enter a couple of man made caves and continue down an incredibly steep ledge, sometimes on the verge of climbing down really. And the trail can be really slippery thanx to all the mist from the waterfall :) But they have chains all over the place to hang onto for dear life... so it's all good!

Vance hanging from the chains... it's a long way down!

We finally made it to the bottom, and Vance was so excited he could hardly contain himself. I love this picture! Mooney Falls are more than 200 feet high... the most majestic site I've ever seen.

So of course we had to set up the tripod and do a kissing picture at the base of the waterfall. How romantic, lol!

Here's Vance having a BLAST at Beaver Falls. He got so excited here that he even jumped off a 30 foot cliff into the water! I would have joined him, but my knee was pretty much killing me, and that made me paranoid :)

Vance on the way back from playing at Beaver Falls. This part of the trail is filled with acres and acres of grapes. It's like a maze of grape leaves! Amazing stuff! In fact, this entire trail was the craziest trail I've ever been on. You had to climb up tattered old ladders with missing planks, climb down slippery rocks lined with chains, walk across ghetto bridges, crawl through caves, and descend down some insane ledges. And yes, we loved every minute of it!

Here's Vance on this awesome rope swing we found. This was one of the funnest things we did! It totally brought out my inner child again... good times :)

Me taking turns with Vance on the rope swing. Seriously... SOO much fun!!

Here I am climbing back up the trail next to Mooney Falls. Doesn't it look crazy, lol!

And me again, in one of the caves you have to crawl through on this unpredictable trek :)

This is the last waterfall that we saw, Navajo Falls. They are about 75 feet high and just a serene sight! We wish we would have had more time to explore this area, but we were hiking out by the time we got around to seeing these falls. Next time we're staying at least three nights for sure.

My Vanna White impersonation :)

This is the helicopter we chose to ride out on. They offer flights 7 days a week which is very cool! I know, I know... that's cheating. But hey, you should have seen how bad I was limping from the three days of hiking already. My knee was pretty much shot! I would have been a complete moron if I attempted to hike out. Luckily Vance saw it that way too, lol. Besides, it was my very first helicopter ride and I LOVED it :)

Here's a shot of the village from the helicopter. I can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Sandy Cove said...

Wow! Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! Havasupai looks absolutely beautiful! I want to go so bad. How was the water? It looked so enticing. I am so jealous that you guys got to get a helicopter ride out. I could have really used a helicopter ride off of half dome last week.

Marleen said...

That sounds like a backpacking trip I could endure. It is so beautiful there.