Monday, January 7, 2008

Grumpy old man

I know there are wedding photographers out there with no respect. Countless times I've seen them leap around the chapel like monkeys trying desperately to get that "perfect" shot. Although it is entertaining to watch, it looks ridiculous and the guests are inevitably annoyed by the distraction.

Well, I am not one of those photographers and never have been.

But... on Saturday night, I was shocked to receive my first complaint. However it was so preposterous, I couldn't help laughing.

After the ceremony, I was setting up my equipment to shoot the formal pictures for the newly wed couple. As I'm fiddling with my tripod, I notice the uppity and quite cantankerous organist marching down the aisle toward me, fuming the entire way. I was surprised when he abruptly stopped at my side.

The old man looks me straight in the eye and says "Do you realize how LOUD your camera is?"

Innocently convinced the crazy old geezer was making small talk, I jokingly replied, "No actually... I'll be sure to tell it to be more quiet next time."

I suddenly realized he didn't appreciate my response when he stammered "If I could have you BANNED from this chapel... I WOULD!" And with that he spun around and marched out the door.

I'm wondering if the old man was having problems with an overly sensitive hearing aid, lol. Personally, I've never considered the sound of the camera shutter to be incredibly noisy or distracting, and it's right next to my ear.

Maybe he was just having a crappy day. Unfortunately for him, his crappy day made mine just that much more comical, as well as memorable :)

Ironically, at the end of the night I also received raving compliments from the pastor, which is quite a feat. Lets just say pastors aren't typically "photo friendly."

Go figure, eh :)

3 comments:

2nd said...

Hey cuz! That's awesome. Funny old man.

Melissa said...

that's funny! When I used to shoot plays and other indoor events with a quiet background, I was always afraid everyone would hear my loud shutter release echo through the auditorium. But I thought I was just being paranoid! I guess there is one guy out there who does notice it... and he's probably the only on.

Anonymous said...

Miners, i can see it now. "No actually, I'll tell it to be quiet the next time" i couldn't stop laughing for a long time. Still am chuckling. Hehe